[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golden Throne - View topic - The fall out.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 5:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The fall out. 

Post The fall out.
So the dust settles on what is hyped up to be the best Gamesday in the world. From the onset the venue seemed to be badly organised, none of the staff at the venue knew where Gamesday was being held within the vast sprawling complex.

When we finaly found where it was being held, we had just 2 hours to set up a WFB game (Tide of Evil, which was one of the few to be listed in the Programme), a 40K game, and the GCN stand. After setting up the 40k game we were told by a nearby GW staff member who had watched us set up the board informed us that we had set up on the wrong table. For some reason someone had placed our named piece of paper on that table form the table that was meant to be ours. Fun!

Here are a few photos I took of the Tide of Evil board being set up.

After these 2 annoyances the day progressed very well, well apart from the dearth of news, the only thing that I saw that was new was this:

Nice, but not enough substance for such a prestigious event.

I was graced by the company of Marquis, and later on by Reds8n. It was great to meet you both in the flesh; It is just a shame that Marquis left before Reds8n found me.

At the end of the Gamesday there is an award ceremony, here is where a surprise laid in wait. One of the organisers approached the table and asked for 2 to come to the front. So we went forward to the front, where we met up with the clubs president... and then we were called on stage as we had won...

Best Club Contribution Game 2009.... It felt good to be on the big stage, I think I'll never get the chance again! :lol:

Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:08 pm
Commander of me

Fantastic. And good work it seems.

Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:15 pm

Forgot to mention the peek at next years Golden daemon model... a Space Dwarf!

Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:31 pm
The Locksmith

I have quite a few more photos to share, but upload will have to wait... Contagion has set in since returning from Birmingham - Hacking cough, vomitting, shaking and fever. Nice. :cry:

It's either licking Dan Abnett or shaking hands with Stonehorse, either way, a plague on both your houses!

Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:52 pm
Profile WWW

Last edited by Stonehorse on Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:07 pm
CAPTAIN KILLJOY

Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:33 pm
Least Coherent Post 2005

Least Coherent Post
Ktulu, our drunken, octopoid mascot, is the lewd and salacious winner in this most golden-thronesque of categories. Let's give him a big round of drinks.

Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:27 pm
Profile WWW
Our man in Australia

Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:57 pm
Profile WWW
Master of the Guild of Players

5786 " Wettest. Drought. Ever."

Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:05 am
CAPTAIN KILLJOY

I am genuinely looking forward to your report Monsiour Satan.

I'm not that impressed and i didnt even go :S

Should be interesting to hear your take on the event :)

Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:23 pm

So who bought what then ? I bought a metric fuck ton of BL books...and that was it.

Oh, several bottles of coke...£1.70 each ! Ouch !

..glad I had the vodka in the hip flask though. :D

Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:27 pm
Hey Tim, What's My Password Again

[url=http://mechanicalhijinks.wordpress.com/] University and personal Blog (update 27/10) [/url]

Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:27 pm
The Locksmith

Sorry about the delay in throwing up my photos and throwing in my tuppence worth (contagion is so bad at work, that by the end of the School Day, 30% of the school population was absent, and those that remained were unfit to be taught).

In retrospect, whilst attending GDUK was certainly an experience, it was decidedly underwhelming and in some ways thoroughly disappointing. I was particularly unimpressed from the outset, by the dreadful mismanagement and lack of apparent organisation for the event, especially given how much practice both the NEC and GW have had in organising said annual affair in previous years. Really this was apparent from the outset, where 8000-10,000 people were being marshalled in a hangar by the sum total of two stewards (I kid you not), the folly of which was demonstrated when they opened the gates and the carefully ordered lines broke down as people cut across lanes and heaved en masse for the doorway (crowd control barriers to manage the queues were conspiciously absent!).

And I have to say, things weren't much better on that front when you finally got through the gates proper (after a short trek from the marshalling area). The entire layout of exhibits and stands felt incredibly ramshackle, disorganised and like it had been thrown together at the last minute, and certainly did not make good use of the space. Some elements were squashed into too small a space, whilst other tiny stands were left floating out in the arse ends of the various halls, when they would've been better off clustered together. To compound matters, various elements of the ancillary companies were spread out here, there and everywhere (Forgeworld displays in particular - If I recall the Ork Scrapyard was tucked away in the corner of one of the secondary halls), whilst the sales areas were ridiculously small considering the demand, volume of people and the space available.

I was also thoroughly unimpressed with how quickly everything decent was sold out. I personally think it was reprehensible that the Black Library had sold through what limited stocks they had bought of Bloodpact, et al by 11:00, and to make matters worse, did not put any signs up to say as much, so people were queuing up in droves for 10 to 15 minutes at a time to be told that what they wanted had already gone. It also made a mockery of the signing booths, as most people had turned up to buy the aforementioned unavailable items and get them signed. From what I recall, most of the authors seemed to give up and go for an early lunch just after 11:30ish, and I'm not sure I saw all of them bother to return. Likewise the Studios area was similarly disorganised, when it could have benefitted from a more cohesive layout, and several 'stands' and displays seemed to be duplicates.

Dismay was also fueled by the near complete lack of any 'sneak peeks', one of the main draws of attending - About the only real, 'coming soon' was the Tyranid Codex cover. Although I did garner from a conversations with Daren Parwood of FW (both direct and overheard) that he's currently working on a Space Marine gunboat, and that buggies and utility vehicles for the Elysian Drop Troops are in the pipeline (photo below actually shows his initial mockup of the gunboat).

I also found it incredibly difficult to get anywhere near the Golden Daemon display cases, and think this again could've benefitted from some steward moderated or barrier controlled access to give everyone a fair nose at the potential candidates (did spot Paul's Orky effort, and an absolutely stunning Nurgle-infested Stomper (photo doesn't do it justice)). Was really great to see Stonehorse and I do regret not having been around at 14:30 to meet up with you Mike, but with hindsight I should have opted for a much earlier meeting time, as by 13:00 Big Steve and myself had had our fill and were desperate to escape back south ahead of the hordes.

Final conclusion is, I have to say, a gentle shrug of the shoulders...

Anyway, below are the discernable photos my archaic digital camera managed to supply:

Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:38 pm
Profile WWW

In fairness Golden Demon is ALWAYS like that and always has been. :x

Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:43 pm
Our man in Australia

Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:01 am
Profile WWW
The Locksmith

Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:12 am
Profile WWW
Hey Tim, What's My Password Again

[url=http://mechanicalhijinks.wordpress.com/] University and personal Blog (update 27/10) [/url]

Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:13 am

Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:43 am
Best Fantasy Model 2007

i was greeted by one of the throners (a very pleasant chap who shook my hand but i unfortunately never got their name :(

hello to whoever you were though fella and thanks for the compliments on the orks!

http://www.totalleh.com/beta487.gif

Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:15 am
Profile WWW

Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:34 am
Best Fantasy Model 2007

http://www.totalleh.com/beta487.gif

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:29 am
Profile WWW

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:49 am
CAPTAIN KILLJOY

That means satan has seen more of you this year tha i have Paul.

Does that make me a bad friend? :(

Satan, im dissapointed you haven't given a thorough run through of the day. I was half expecting you to tell us how it is, in the most direct of terms.

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:28 am

"plan" is to do that tonight after updating the RPG thread.

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:32 am

Post Less really is more sometimes...
..or why I am thoroughly sick of Titans.

So.... The Venue.

I appreciate that GW have very little control over which bits of the NEC are available to them on or around this date. And I appreciate that there aren't that many venues centrally placed and easy to get to and with the same facilities that can hold that number of people. But I do think that GW never seem to utilise the space they're given especially well. I am glad of the extra height and space, not least as it helps lessen the ...the.... "distinctive".. aroma that a gathering of the geek brings with it. I wonder if along with the bag searches at the entrance it might be possible to have some compulsory BO basher spray or shot as well.... botox in the armpits perhaps.. hmm.. anyway...

It's a good enough venue, but EVERY year it strikes me as if all the stalls and parts are randomly placed at the last minute. But seeing as they print out a map of the event this cannot actually be the case. Speaking of which : in past years the guide/program was available prior to the event, sometimes handed out on the coach on the way there. This didn't seem to happen this year and many people (self included) sort of stumbled into the hall not knowing where anything was. I found a guide, eventually, near the BL stand, but purely by luck. Even if these were a last minute job ( which would explain perhaps why we lacked the usual and helpful guide to which club was running what game where) I still think the distribution of them was pretty poor. That said all the NEC and GW staff I spoke to for advice/directions etc were very helpful and polite. Can't fault them there.

Anyway...

I guess it is a logistical nightmare to actually try and co-ordinate the movement of 8-10 thousand people of various ages and health. And fashion sense ( or lack thereof : It's fucking September and you're in the midlands of the UK, sandals, shorts and a t shirt are not the best choice of outfit. During our game of "Games Day bingo" I failed to spot a single Red Dwarf T shirt for the first year ever....looks like the last set of shows killed that beast off for good it seems) . I'm still not quite sure as to why we were all moved into a aircraft hangar sized hall to wait in line... before being led back the same sodding way we'd came.. to wait in line to actually get into the poxy event. I assume it was practise for the 2012 Olympics where the UK's introduced event will be synchronised queuing. We've got gold in that event for certain. The stewards "guiding"..well..bellowing anyway, at us didn't seem to know why either. I suspect no one does, it will remain a mystery for future generations to try and solve.

They will fail.

Now I'm sure people have a myriad of reasons to attend these events. Personally I don't quite see the appeal in going to play a rushed and ill prepared game of undetermined points against a complete stranger....but the tables always seem busy, so it must have its fans. I keep meaning to find out exactly how one actually gets a game.. do you just hang around the tables hopefully trying to attract the eye of some other lonely soul and then pray that you've both got models for the same game even, let alone the same points and so forth. What if no one wants to play you ? Do you just lurk listlessly, abandoned by the capriciousness of man, doomed to spend the day feeling like a real live action Morrisey lyric ? Christ, in my day that's what we had discos for. Yet something else the internet and G.W.Bush must be blamed for.

Or there might be some form of booking system I guess, if you know, then please let me know.

Look at the time : to be continued.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next