[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golden Throne - View topic - Cameron Chin-Wagging
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 5:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Cameron Chin-Wagging 
Best Flamer 2006, 2007

Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:25 pm
Master of the Guild of Players

5786 " Wettest. Drought. Ever."

Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:26 pm
Best Manwhore 2007, Least Coherent 2006

Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:52 am
The Locksmith

@Red - Apart from the fact that you'll now be first against the wall when the regime-change comes (Git :P ), being in the position that I'm in, I think there is ample external support available (School, Social Services, Counselling, etc) to adequately offset the issues you mentioned, and the introduction of the , makes it somewhat easier to put that support in place (although I concede there will always be those cases that slip through the net). In regards to the issue of contraception; I'm fairly confident in making the generalisation that the vast majority of teenage and unplanned pregnancies occur because no contraceptive measures were taken, rather than being due to a failure in the methods available. Your point about there being a possible deluge of legal actions is well-made, however I would point to this as evidence of issues within the legal system which need to be addressed to prevent inane cases coming to court (but that's getting off topic). As to the religious and pro-life argument: Whilst the UK is ethnically and religiously diverse, we are governed primarily as a secular state and should not forget that.

@Uzgah - The simple answer (and one that I'd support) is that the armed forces should be paid (alot) more considering the job that they're asked to do, but again, that is diverging from the main point of the debate...

Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:27 am
Profile WWW

Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:27 pm
The Locksmith

Whilst I appreciate the divergence I am making, I cannot help but rise to the bait:

As far as I'm concerned, we should withdraw from the ECHR (European Convention on Human Rights), which would then negate the need for the Human Rights Act 1998 and pave the way for its abolition. My reasoning is quite simple: I take any such additional* legislation as an implicit suggestion that the existing legal system in this country is in some way defective, in that the need for such additional legislation suggests the existing system is incapable of addressing the issue of Human Rights without it. That being the case, it then follows the existing legal system in this country needs serious revision, not the application of a band-aid solution managed by an external judiciary, over which the people of the country have no direct control (i.e. the European Court of Human Rights). That is without mentioning the odious contradiction in terms this (the ECHR) creates, as how can a body over which the people have no control, be trusted to oversee the basic rights of those it purports to represent? Thus I consider the ECHR to be grossly illegitimate at best and a form of subtle, uncontested and dictatorial oppression at worst.

*And by this I mean, 'added onto the existing system'

Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:29 pm
Profile WWW
Best Flamer 2006, 2007

...and you all thought I'm anti-Europe... :lol:

Last edited by Lord David the Denied on Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:13 pm

Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:01 pm
The Locksmith

Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:20 pm
Profile WWW
Best Flamer 2006, 2007

Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:22 pm
Best Quote, Most Disturbing Link 2007

Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:16 pm
The Locksmith