[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golden Throne - View topic - How much longer does Table Top Wargaming have left?
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 5:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 How much longer does Table Top Wargaming have left? 

Post How much longer does Table Top Wargaming have left?
The title is something I've always wondered about. The Hobby is something that we all feel very passionately about; why else would we devote vast lengths of our valuable time to all aspects of it?

GW are without a doubt the largest company in the history of Table Top Wargaming (TTW from hence forth), but even they are showing signs of going the way of the Dodo. Their market strategy has been the same for the last 15 years or so: Revise a core game in a new edition every 5 years or so, thus making most things from the previous useless or radically changed until the new army book/codex is introduced. Meaning everyone has to buy new books and in some cases new models in order to keep their army legal. It a sure fired way to make the 'pool' of wargamers who subscribe to the system spend money every 5 years or so, but this strategy is I think showing it's age, people have gotten either wise to it or feel betrayed.

Other than GW there are plenty of other 'strong' TTW companies who are producing great products with out going through the same channels that GW has gone through, but the question there is how long these companies can continue to expand their systems before it becomes too cluttered and/or similar.

Nothing lasts for ever, it’s a painful fact of life, TTW has been around for about 100 years (it started in Prussia, before or during World War 1 if I recall correctly). The age we live in favours 'instant gratification' in entertainment, this will have an impact on TTW.

I started TTW in the early 90's, computer games at this point couldn't offer the same level of challenge. This was my main reason for starting the hobby. Now they can (some would argue they surpass), and at the click of a switch. No long hours painting the armies, no more trying to find an opponent through different mediums. Now the Internet has 'opened the world' opponents are very easy to find.

As I said before GW's success may lead to their down fall, while other TTW companies out grow themselves. This would then mean there is less new blood into the Hobby, if and when GW go belly up it will be a massive blow to the hobby. GW is akin to a stepping stone to the hobby as a whole, due to their public presence they do bring a lot of new blood into the hobby. Without them it means less monetary input to the companies and also less opponents to play against. What’s the point spending lot of money and time on something if there is no one to play with?

I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but in the day and age we are living in I can't see TTW as it is now being around in 20 years time. Just imagine how advanced computers and their games are going to be in 20 years time, the lines of reality and escapism will have not only blurred, but be a faint reminder in the chapters of history.

Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:07 pm

agreed, Im already bored out of my mind from playing warhammer. 1 my army cost way to much to play, 2 I dont have the amount of time I used to have to dedicate 4 to 5 hours standing around and doing so. I have a job and what not and would like to spend my time doing other things personally.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:56 am
Best 40K Model 05, 07, Best S.Games '05

Each year goes by I find more things in the hobby I enjoy.
Two years ago you wouldn't find me playing any games. Now I usually play a game each week.
The models are getting better, I'm getting better at modelling, painting and gaming; there's really nothing that could stop me doing what I love.
I can't see the hobby being replaced by computers just the same as painting is still as popular as computer generated imaging has become.
I love to sit at home and unwind with paint and glue, making things that are truely unique with my own hands. Computers cannot do that.

Currently painting/converting: The Golden Throne Interweb Forum 1st Blood Bowl Inter League Armoured Gnoblar Football Team (A Team), Avatar, Tyranids, Assault on Black Beach.
Pledge points: +56

Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:31 am
Profile WWW
Best Avatar, Sig 2007, Best Noob 2006

I'd also rather paint or game than play computer games (most of the time). I think that there are less people wanting to get involved with it, because It's supposedly nerdy ( :cool: ) but there will always be, albeit a small one, a market for gaming.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:19 am
Master of the Guild of Players

Must admit I do dislike painting, but that could be due to the vast legions of possibly undercoated but not painted models I have :x, is a nice sense of satisfaction when you finish a squad though. And I'm getting there I suppose-- at least now when I buy something new it's for an existing force and it motivates me to crack on with a few more bits. I much prefer playing, always have.
I think in some form TTW will still exist 20 years from now even if only to cater to nu-luddites like myself :P , but I do think, and this is where GW could find themselves in trouble, that the painting aspect is going to shrink and pre painted models will be the way of the future. I think if you want to try and attract new players then the option of just buy, open and play will be too much of a sales tool to resist. I know GW have stated repeatedly they have no intention of this as theirs is a HOBBY company, but I wonder if their refusal to even examine such an idea might be their downfall. I gather from what Messrs. 'the Denied, Combatdroid and Walling have said that the first wave of prepaints haven't got down a storm ( and the gamers I know who bought them have pretty much all repainted their models) but I can't help but remember when the first new citadel plastics came out some were shockingly bad ;

the Daleks were alright I suppose and I still have a strong love ( as well as the models :o , £3.99 for 24 if memory serves !) for the skeleton horde set but the rest were terrible.

The next wave, which included the fantasy regiment set ( £.9.99 for 10 Elfs, dwarves,skaven,orcs,goblins and darkelfs !) were a huge step up but still pretty limited

and this in turn led to the classic RTB1 marines ( still got some on the sprues !) and from there to today's gorgeous kits which in some cases are better than the metals ( yes possessed I AM looking at you ).
Of course when we run out of oil unexpectedly next year we're all fucked anyway :-D

Primaryily I think TTW will still exist in some form as it is essentially a social thing. The stereotype of the friendless wargamer is, if you stop and think about it, a complete fallacy. As a teenager I spent more time gaming with my friends than with my family and possibly than anything else ( random drug and alcohol fueled escapades aside, although the two frequently combined as we got older), and I think this social aspect more than any other will be what "saves" the hobby.

Wow, that went on much longer than I'd intended. sorry :?

5786 " Wettest. Drought. Ever."

Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:41 am
Best Non-GW Model 2007

Location: FFS, if the game is good, and you like it, and you have the books and the army, you dont HAVE to pla
Plastic models wont go away when oil runs out, they will make plant based plastics.

As for the hobby in general, I like games and I like art. TTWG has both. Games I play are many and varied. Painted models look cool on your shelf, whereas your PC is just a big grey box.

Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:40 pm
Profile WWW

Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:15 pm
The Locksmith

I must admit, I'm with Lew - Whilst my skills aren't on a par, they are improving and I love using them. I'm also loving the resurgence in independent companies (by that, I mean non-GW) and seeing all the different types of miniatures that are out there. I'm also starting to like the idea of collecting (both books and miniatures), modelling and painting for its own sake, (hence my new-found love affair with Warzone and its Bauhaus faction), and the concept of playing different games with different settings or different focuses (such as staying within the Wh40k setting, but playing Battle Fleet Gothic). I think Tabletop Wargaming is actually having something of a renaissance at the moment, due in no small part to the mighty intarwebs - Like others have said, I can see no reason for a possible decline, except perhaps the collapse of GW and a tangible high street presence...

Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:53 pm
Profile WWW

I never play warhammer enough to be actually good at it. the nearest store is a 2hr drive

Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:31 pm
Profile YIM
Most Disturbing Link 2006

Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:12 pm
Best Manwhore 2007, Least Coherent 2006

Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:51 pm

Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:49 pm

Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:11 pm
Least Contributive Poster 2007

You are not a dwarf unless you are in direct possession of a battle-ax.

Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:01 am
Best Non-GW Model 2007

Location: FFS, if the game is good, and you like it, and you have the books and the army, you dont HAVE to pla

Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:49 am
Profile WWW

They've been made for ages like the ones that you see mel gibson turning into musket balls in the patriot that if I remember correctly Churchill used to collect as a boy and had an entire Brigade of troops down to each and every cannon loader. I think it has a future especially if the plant plastics that curt mentioned turn out fine then they could even be leigible for some sort of funding to use them or be promoted due to that.

Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:34 pm

Location: Livin' in a van (30'RV) down by the river (Golf course water hazard)
I have almost completely stopped playing games. I spend almost all my time painting and converting, which I like to do. I keep up with new codexes and new game editions but I never actually have the time to play. I have a table in my house that would normally be the gaming table but it gets covered in folded laundry or books that need organizing or, right now, items that are slated for the end of the summer garage sale (boot sale for the Imperials). So not much playing there. I built my wife an Ork army to try to basically home shop my own gaming group but we just never have the time to do it. I'll keep paiting and converting, and I'll keep getting the rules and codexes just in case, but my days of actually playing have largely faded away.
At this point I can only hope that when my kids get old enough they will get interested in it and then I'ld have a chance of getting back into gaming.

Finally started painting my son's Knights Hospitaller (Homegrown SMs).

Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:15 pm
Most Disturbing Link 2006

until the 12th day of the 12th month in the 12th year at the 12hour

Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:51 am

Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:52 am
Best Non-GW Model 2007

3000 year old flying model(base not included)

Chess from 760 ad

MyLordKhorne

! night a week is all you need, or even once every 2 weeks. Set that special time aside. 3 hours every 2 weeks for your hobby is OK. You will love it and see great benefits in your life from more games playing! HURRAH for games!

Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:21 am
Profile WWW
Most Disturbing Link 2005

I have a feeling the TTMG as a whole will eventually shrink back to what it was in the eighties/early nineties. It will be a self-sustainable niche-market, but nothing more. Games like B-tech have stood the test of time and will probably continue to do so. GWs fatal flaw was their attempt to bring the genre to the masses. Little did the know that TTMGs require a ton of pedantry, patience, and a mental drive. Only a select few have those traits to keep with it and sustain the market. GW could only rely on the "impulse market" for so long until it eventaully ran dry.

Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]