[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golden Throne - View topic - Is it possible to be a Christian while not believing in God?
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 5:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Is it possible to be a Christian while not believing in God? 

Post Is it possible to be a Christian while not believing in God?
I will state that I am aware that the Bible is the work of man, and that over the years it has been mistranslated and a lot of the events detailed within are either exaggerations or fabrications. Knowing this I am an Atheist, but I also find myself drawn to the message of Christ.

The message I find is one that is based upon love, hope, forgiveness, and most importantly non judgement. He may not have existed, but even so I find that the message of the Gospels to be a good message, there is nothing wrong with it at heart, in fact I think that the ideals are ones that should be aimed for... of course I doubt that anyone alive will ever be able to live perfectly in line with the ideals.

So is it possible to follow the teachings of Christ, without believing in the supernatural?

I think it is, and is a position that I find myself in.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:10 pm
Master of the Guild of Players

Post Re: Is it possible to be a Christian while not believing in
..well.... huge chunks of our/western laws and legal systems are, originally, based upon religious laws.

With mixed results perhaps, but there you go.

If you feel that you are doing so, then surely you've answered your own question anyway ? :lol:

Being niggly ( almost from a RAW perspective) then, techncially, you're nto a Xtian as that does require belief in and etc etc etc.

5786 " Wettest. Drought. Ever."

Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:35 pm
CAPTAIN KILLJOY

I don't think you need to believe in it as a religious person.

I'm a total Atheist. There's very little middle ground for me. I don't think you need to say your a Christian to be a good person. If you follow the history of the Christ figure he never said half the things he's meant to have said.

He's a good guy who did some good things a while back. He didn't push his beliefs onto people.

I don't think you should label yourself with Christianity. Isn't it enough to know that you can be a good person and not have to assign that moral behaviour to anyone or anything?

If you take God out of the picture, all of this still works. I'll never understand why people need to assign their morals to Christ, Mohammed or the Buddha or some high power.

I don't mean this in an aggressive way. Live and let live :)

Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:44 pm
Best in Show, Best Fantasy Model 2006

Having a moral code that coincides with that of Christianity does not make you a Christian.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:05 pm
PYFM - FAILED! - by 72 Minis. Proper Baddie!

Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:02 am
Our man in Australia

Technically simply by following the law of the land in which you reside (the UK) you are obeying a number of tenets of many major religions. I don't think what you're saying makes you any more a Christian than it makes you a Buddhist or a Taoist or a Hindu, or you know, just A Person.

What makes people Christian is, strictly, a belief in Christ, an Abrahamic God and a following of the dogma as laid down in the Bible. So no, I don't think it's possible to be a Christian without believing in God, but then again, I don't see why it's necessary to label yourself like that. Just be the person you want to be and don't worry about which category you fit into.

You don't need to follow a religious creed to have a claim on morality, and vice versa, people who do not follow religious creeds are not automatically immoral. The labels are irrelevant, it's the actions that you take as you move through the world that are important.

For myself I am in a similar situation: I can't ever say with 100% certainty that there are, or are not, such a thing as a god or gods, but what I do know for certain is that right here, right now, I'm living in a world with other people around me, and I want to let them live their life to the fullest as long as they let me do mine. So I choose to be a good person (moral semantics aside, "good" in this sense meaning "doesn't steal people's stuff or kick puppies), because I think that's the best way to make everybody as happy as possible. In the end, I think that's all we can really try to do.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:13 am
Profile WWW
PYFM - FAILED! - by 72 Minis. Proper Baddie!

Ill agree with Tim I think Stonehorse your moral code is close to Christianity, that does not make you a Christian unless you want to take the final leap.

Its a good moral code, forgivness is not just about letting someone off easy its about closure on your behalf and moving on with life.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]