[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golden Throne - View topic - Digital Books and Kindle
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 5:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Digital Books and Kindle 

Post Digital Books and Kindle
So looks like BL are going to start releasing books in e format and Amazon are launching the Kindle in the uk market. I am tempted by this. Anyone used this thing or got any thoughts. I have checked the ebooks list on Amazon and there are few other authors on there that I like. I am also thinking that the Kindle maybe lighter than some of the other giant books I have been reading lately.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:44 pm
Best in Show, Best Fantasy Model 2006

Post Re: Digital Books and Kindle
Nah, I don't know how many real books I could buy for the price of a kindle. But it must be a lot.

And they look better when stacked on the shelves...

Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:51 pm

Yea true they do look good when stacked but I have alas run out of space for stacking. No one can see my books when they are stacked in my loft. The Kindle is only £109 so that is only 13 BL books at £7.99. There is on average a 66% saving on each ebook over the printed version, those same 13 book are going to cost me £37.

The break even point is about 20 books so roughly a years worth of reading for me.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:24 pm

There's your anwsear then. Plus people will think you cool with all the new technology.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:09 pm

Will I be 22 popped collar cool. I have seen people at the bar with their Ipad and in Starbucks smuggle typing away furiously while slurping a Frap and the first word that springs to mind is never cool, TWAT is a bit closer to the truth.

Attachments:
popped-collar-2.jpg
popped-collar-2.jpg [ 45.19 KiB | Viewed 3267 times ]

Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:23 pm

Meh, prolly. But if it wasn't for peple who leap at new gadgets just because they are new, they, even those actually useful, would probably never get widespread.

I have a personal grudge against everything with an i in front of the name, but folks I think of as sensible tell me they aren't half bad once you actually get past all the hype. ;)

Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:28 pm
Master of the Guild of Players

5786 " Wettest. Drought. Ever."

Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:17 pm
Our man in Australia

I've used a Kindle, and they are super-great and really easy to read. I'm a big fan, and am going to be purchasing one for the missus later this year - both of us have stupid amounts of books and while we love them and love the tactile feel/look of them on the shelf, we are also poor, and the convenience offered by the Kindle is just wonderful.

Only caveat would be if you buy a Kindle make sure you tell it you want/have a US account rather than a UK/Aus one... the book selection for countries other than the US is basically zero due to licensing problems. If you tell it you have a US account you can read pretty much every book ever.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:08 am
Profile WWW

-please pass on if you know anyone with a disability!
PYFM 2011: 91.5 points - year target 100 points

Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:57 am
Profile WWW

I've got a Nook, and would recommend it to anyone who's a big reader. Now being the social butterfly that I am, I read on my lunch break at work, while stuck in traffic, and at home. It's a lot easier to carry a Nook in my back pocket than to carry a 1,000 page Omnibus around with me. Plus, I don't have to worry about incriminating cover art. Some of BL's art is a little out there.

GOAL MET!!!!! 9/2/2010- means I get 3 more months to excede my goal.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:26 am

Ohh the Nook looks sexy and it comes in white, I 1 clicked a kindle in the end, I will let know how I get on with it in a few weeks when it turns up. I thought at 230 grams it won't wake me up again when I fall asleep by smacking me on the head. Like you say some of those omnibus editions not to mention other fantasy/sci-fi books are getting on for a thousand pages that is a lot of weight to be holding up.

The Ipad I am sure is a great gadget but I already have a twat phone so I don't need a larger version of it without the useful phone bit. The big selling point of the ebook for me was the fact that you can have up to 4 weeks continuos reading without recharging.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:09 am

I have a few ebooks through my phone but to be quite frank, I can't stand them. I live for books, I find it almost impossible to bring myself to even order them online. Reading is a pleasure that I enjoy and having had a go with some of the ebook readers available I find that the headaches and discomfort induced by the various devices due to my personal situation are detrimental to this.

Only a purely technical side, I applaud the innovation. It is simply that it does not suit my particular requirements or tastes.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:56 pm
Profile WWW

My Kindle turned up today, it's amazing.
The Epaper is easy to read and looks like the real thing, I switched it on, put in my wifi password and then bought a book from amazon and it downloaded within 1 minute. Fantastic, no need to register the device or plug it into my mac it came configured to use my existing amazon account.

The only problem I can see is these are instant books. I could buy more books than I could ever possibly read and they would take up no space. Just like plastic crack from GW.

Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:20 pm

-please pass on if you know anyone with a disability!
PYFM 2011: 91.5 points - year target 100 points

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
Our man in Australia

I have been informed that apparently they have just closed the loophole (at least on new accounts) that allowed people not in the USA to register a USA account and get access to heaps of books, so for me at least the value of a Kindle has dropped considerably. :( I'd be interested to see what limitations you run into, Caspah!

Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:52 am
Profile WWW

For me at least there is plenty of content in the UK, lots of good sci-fi and BL will soon be releasing books in a format compatible with the Kindle. There are also lots of free books. Stuff like Dickens, HG Wells, Darwin and many more.
http://freekindlebooks.org/
It's not like Amazon to miss out on making money so I suspect it won't be long before all those lovely books from America will be available in the UK, with words like color, airplane, aluminum, mom, specialty, encyclopedia, chili, theater and center plus all those ssss replaced with the Zeee.
I could poke a few faults with the device but you have to remember it is designed to just read books. In a short space of time we have gotten used to touch screen so you instinctively you go to poke the screen and nothing happens. This is not really a big deal, it keeps the cost down and you don't really want greasy finger prints on something you are going to read. The keyboard is not the most user friendly but then you are not writing essays on it , the occasional book find on the amazon kindle site for a new book is easily served by it's functionality.

I think that all of these hand held oblong objects are not the most ergonomically designed and due to their shiny plastic nature slip easily from your hand. If you ask me they could all do with a big handle on the bottom right hand corner a bit like a spy glass.

I shall keep you updated once I get some serious reading done, at the moment I am finishing Nemesis on good old fashioned paper.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:39 am
Deserving of any impromptu dental work

Until the e-books are non-encumbered PDFs and the devices are generic mass storage dumping grounds I wont be touching anything remotely resembling and e-book reader.

Media providers have proved over and over again they cannot be trusted to uphold their part of the bargain when you pay for non-tangible goods and they have the slightest bit of control over what you do with them. Amazon have remotely deleted works people purchased in good faith because Amazon got the licencing wrong. The customer who paid for media in good faith was screwed. When the Yahoo!/MSN music service shut down, people lost all of the music they had purchased through it. All the promises that float around with regard to "turning off the activation servers and making everything ok" when companies go under or services are no longer available is just pissing in the wind. If a company providing these services goes tits up, the receivers will be the ones who decide that, and they certainly will not be cutting off a revenue stream like that.

I have always hated this kind of thing, but I caved and got an iPhone4 because it fitted what I wanted from a mobile device. I have never, and will never buy a single media file from the ITMS. All of my music is purchased on CDs, ripped and imported into iTunes, the same with my DVDs. I do not rely on an external company to honour a nebulous promise to give me access to that media forever more.

I'm hoping that a few high profile failures will eventually render this businesss model obsolete as people realise how bad it is for consumers in the long run, but look how long its taken large companies to start thinking that way about DRM on games. SecuROM has only just started to fall out of favour with a couple of studios, to be replaced by Steam.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:06 am

Furry muff Vondi. Just to point out though, the Kindle is relatively open. I have ordered books and they have arrived wirelessly to my device. I then plug it into my mac and I can back them up. I have also put free books on to it in a variety of formats from the gutenburg.org website. In addition when you plug it into you PC or mac you can put mp3 music on to it and play it on the Kindle. So far I am impressed.

I am totally with you on the music buying thing though, I love CD's I can take them anywhere and rip them over and over again without worrying about the DRM or some other shit. Plus I just don't trust the muppets at Apple or wherever to do the original rip any justice.

If I am going to spend a grand on a hi-fi why play the music from a crappy mp3 rip through a cheap cable. I would rather have my unadulterated 44Khz stereo CD press spinning in the drive and listen to the sterophonic soundscape fill the room as the artist had intended.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]