[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golden Throne - View topic - Social/Racial Identity
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 4:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Social/Racial Identity 

Post Social/Racial Identity

Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:48 pm

Me, I'm what's known as a "Heinz 57". Millions of different tribes of Man combined into one awesome power!! *ahem*

I was Born In The USA (c) to US mixed-breed father and a Scots-Irish mother, but raised in the land of the Jock. I consider myself Scottish (rather than American or even British) as that's what I know. I feel great affinity to Scotland, but shake my head quite often at those wacky Americans (despite still holding US Nationality) and their stab-happy policies and localized blindness.

Blood lineage does come into it (I'm 1/16th Navaho and bits are from Germany, Ireland, the Moon etc) but it's definitely Nurture in my case, not Nature.

Colonel-QM, Head of Q Branch and "Requisitions", Overlord of the SpamFleet.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:51 am
PYFM - FAILED! - by 72 Minis. Proper Baddie!

people use many things to identify themselves this may be social or as an identity for themself. I accept the psychological identity, though feverant beleif in blood lineage for anything else other than identity is scary.

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:02 am

Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:31 am

Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:45 pm
Profile ICQ

Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:07 pm

Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:37 pm
Profile ICQ

Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:43 pm

Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:04 pm

Language is a factor. A lot of minority communities like those mentioned formed because it was far easier to find a job, friends etc in a foreign country if you could talk to people in your native language. Even more so if you never learned the language of the place you migrated to (sadly, a lot of Polish immigrants in the USA seem to be proud of that).

Now, I obviously consider myself Polish, since it's where I was raised, my parents and their parents are Polish. If I now moved to Ireland and lived there for the rest of my life I'd still consider myself Polish even though I like to think I have a pretty good grasp of the culture and history of Ireland, even the language. I don't think any of my Irish friends would consider me 'one of them', either. My children however if raised there, would probably consider themselves Irish even if I did my best to teach them the culture, language and history of Poland.

So yeah, I guess it's the place where you spend your youth that counts...

Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:46 pm

Hey, sorry for digging this up after it seems to have died, but I kind of want to get my peace out, and try and diffuse something that seems to really be bothering you.

With the Australian argument, their population is about 21,000,000 or so per their last census I think, most of which is coastal and crammed, as there is a whole lot of nothing in the middle. Us Amedicans on the other hand are riding on towards 304,000,000 concentrated in certain areas, but otherwise pretty damn spread. Maybe a bit easier to homogenize.

To be honest, though, the groups that usually tend to try and keep their identity are the ones that were royally fucked over when they first got here. The Irish where taken advantage of no matter where they went, same with the Poles. Italians and Jews came later on, and they're pretty damn homogeneous and proud also. You never hear someone being loud and proud over be dutch German, let me tell you. We also have less than 300 years as a nation, with most of the time before that being mainly German, English, Scotch dominated (some Irish off into the hills, but folk from Apalachicola will never claim anything beyond their home town as an identity). All the other groups mentioned have been here less than 200 years, in some cases only 100. When your grandpa can't speak the language of the majority of the nation (or at lease still has an accent), then you tend to have stronger ties, weather it is to the chagrin of the homeland or not.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:21 pm
Profile ICQ
PYFM - FAILED! - by 72 Minis. Proper Baddie!

Racial identity is just that racial - sometimes its adapted (usually in face of total immersion in another culture or lack of ones own culture) sometimes it becomes dominant. If we look at a position such as Americanisation or one world culture where do we go from there?

Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]